This is a great easy midweek dish, left over chicken could be used if you have any hanging about in the fridge.Quinoa pronounced keen-wah, is a complete protein, packed full of macronutrients such as zinc, magnesium and iron. It’s wheat and gluten free so it’s a great alternative to couscous and it tastes great! Before cooking quinoa it is important to rinse it well, this will remove the saponin from the quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups gluten free chicken stock (no nasties)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil (or olive oil)
- ½ cup pepitas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup basil pesto
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed
- Fresh basil leaves
1. Place chicken breasts in a saucepan of simmering water for 5 minutes, cover and remove from heat, stand for 20 minutes until cooked through, remove from liquid.
2. Meanwhile, place quinoa in a saucepan with the stock and bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and stand, covered for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
3. Steam or blanch your broccolini.
4. Shred the chicken and toss with the lemon juice and oil, then add all other ingredients and toss until well combined.
Serve and enjoy!